If on tight square footage, a DIY ottoman might be the perfect piece of furniture for you. The great thing about an ottoman is that it can serve multiple purposes.
In addition to being a place to rest your feet, an ottoman can also be used as a bench or extra seating for guests. And if you’re looking for some extra storage space, many ottomans have built-in compartments that are perfect for holding blankets, pillows, or other household items.
Now, you could easily get one at a nearby furniture store, but if you’re looking to save some money, you might want to consider building your own.
And yes, in this article, we’ll show you how to build a DIY ottoman in just a few simple steps.
One thing though; Ottomans come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. As such, we will only cover one type in this article. But, the general steps will be the same, no matter what kind of a DIY ottoman you build.
Let’s jump right in!
- 1 How To Build A DIY Ottoman
- 1.1 Materials include;
- 1.2 Step-By-Step Guide on Building A DIY Ottoman
- 2 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQS)
- 3 Final Verdict
How To Build A DIY Ottoman
Building an ottoman is a relatively simple process that can be completed in a few hours. You will find our steps to be easy to follow.
But first, let’s take a quick look at the requirements for the projects.
– Cardboard: This will go to the framework. You will need two circular pieces, one for the top and the other for the bottom of your ottoman. You will also need rectangular cardboard to make the body of your ottoman.
– Upholstery fabric: The fabric should be big enough to cover all the sides of the ottoman.
– Project foam: You will need a project foam to go around your ottoman before you install the fabric.
– Dowel rods: These will be used to reinforce the cardboard to keep them from collapsing.
– Buttons: You will need some buttons for your ottoman to come on top of the fabric. They are what you will use to embellish the piece.
– Scissors: For cutting the fabric and foam.
– Stapler gun: To staple the fabric in place.
– Spray adhesive: This will be used to attach the fabric onto the frame of your ottoman.
– Tape measure: You will need this for all sorts of measurements you will need for this project.
– Pencil: For marking where the tufts will go. You’ll also find it handy if you have to cut the cardboard yourself.
– Circular saw: You will need a circular saw for cutting the cardboard – if you choose to do the cutting yourself.
Now that we have all the materials and tools, let’s get started!
Step-By-Step Guide on Building A DIY Ottoman
Step 1: Cut The Top and Bottom Sections
Cut the circular pieces of cardboard using a template or by tracing an object of the same size. For a strong ottoman, cut several circular pieces of cardboard for the bottom and glue them together to form one piece. Repeat the same for the top section. They should all be of equal diameter.
Step 2: Cut The Rectangular Body
Cut a rectangular piece of cardboard and make two parallel cuts on both long sides, making sure that the cuts are the same length as the circumference of your top and bottom pieces. The width of the rectangular piece of cardboard will depend on the height you want for your ottoman.
Step 3: Attach The Base To The Body
Pick one of the glued circular pieces and then attach the rectangular piece of cardboard to it. Glue will work fine here. You’ll want to take 12 pieces of dowel rods and cut them to the height of your ottoman. Then, hot glue them to the bottom of the cardboard. This will act as a reinforcement for your DIY ottoman.
Step 4: Attach The Project Foam To The Outside
Measure the circumference of your ottoman and cut a piece of project foam that is slightly bigger. Glue it to the outside of the cardboard. This will help add cushioning to your ottoman and protect your fabric from getting damaged. Make sure that you also mark where you want the tufts to be. You can use a pencil for this purpose.
Step 5: Cover The Foam With Fabric
Staple the fabric in place around the project foam. Make sure to get rid of all the wrinkles and make it look neat. The stapling needs to come at the points where you marked your tufts.
Step 6: Attach Buttons
You’ll again need glue for this step. Begin by covering each staple with glue. Then, take the buttons and place them on top of the fabric, making sure that they go on top of the glue that you just applied on the staples.
Step 7: Work On The Lid
Once the bottom and the body of your ottoman are done, it’s time to work on the lid. The lid is basically the other circular piece of cardboard. All you need is to cover it with foam and staple the fabric in place. After that, embellish it with buttons in the same way you did with the body of the ottoman.
And there you have it! Your very own DIY Ottoman. This is a really easy project and can be completed in a few hours.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQS)
Where Should I Place My Ottoman?
Can I Make This Ottoman In Different Sizes?
Yes, you can definitely make this ottoman in different sizes. You’ll just need to adjust the measurements accordingly.
How Do I Clean My Ottoman?
Ottomans can be easily cleaned with a damp cloth. If there is any stubborn dirt or stains, you can use a mild detergent. Make sure to dry it completely afterward.
Can I Use This Ottoman As A Storage Unit?
Yes, you can use your ottoman as a storage unit by adding a lid to it. You can either make the lid yourself or buy one from a store.
What Kind Of Fabric Should I Use?
You can use any fabric of your choice for this project. Make sure to pick a sturdy and durable fabric that can withstand wear and tear.
This is definitely a great DIY project for anyone who wants to make their own ottoman. The instructions are easy to follow and the end result is a really stylish and functional piece of furniture. So, go ahead and give it a try!